Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mini Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Pie Crust



Chicken pot pies are always on my menu and I have documented my love of them but since last year, I have been obsessed with individual  pot pies. Baked in 6 inch pie pans, they are the perfect size for the family. 





Not like the frozen ones we ate as a kid, but delicious rich pot pies filled with all the love you can imagine. 

 Start with a cheddar cheese pie crust:


  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 t Salt
  • 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Add  flour and salt in a food processor. Add butter, and pulse five or six times until the butter looks like small peas.  Drizzle water evenly over mixture. Pulse until mixture just begins to hold together (dough should not be wet or sticky). If dough is too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse. Add cheese; pulse until combined.





These pot pies are a little work but I make big batches of the pie filling and freeze it.




Then, you just defrost the pie filling, fill the small pie pans and cover with this beautiful crust. I use this pie filling recipe. I cut out little maple leaves for air vents and besides, they are so cute.

 Use an egg wash for the crust and sprinkle with salt and pepper.



Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes and you have a hearty comforting dinner. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia