Homemade Macaroni and Cheese are a big favorite at our house!! I mean, every week when my children were young and every weekend when the grandbabies are here. So I thought I would try a variation of this favorite for the big kids. My son in law is huge Guiness Stoudt fan, remember his favorite cupcakes.
Start with a the macaroni noodles, I used bow ties because I love them. Cook according to directions.
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat butter, once the butter has melted, stir in garlic. Cook another minute.
Next stir in flour, ground mustard, salt and pepper.
Slowly whisk in milk, cream and beer. Once thickened, sir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese, fontina and Parmesan until melted.
Next stir in macaroni gently and pour into a greased baking dish.
Sprinkle with a cup of cheddar, Parmesan and panko bread crumbs.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Beer Cheese Macaroni
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup amber beer
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided