Wednesday, August 27, 2014

New $5 Nightstand



This summer, my daughter and I hosted a bridal shower. The original plan was for the shower to be outside by the pool under the pergola. And one of the items I wanted to find for the shower was an old piece of furniture at a yard sale to use as the lemonade stand. 


I found a dresser for $5! JACKPOT!! And it had wheels. For $5, I could let it sit outside all summer as a serving buffet and at the end of the summer, dispose of it and no guilt. 




So I painted the piece with Annie Sloan Arlis. A beautiful Sunflower yellow that would be perfect for the lemonade stand but also for the summer. After the piece was painted, I color washed it with Old White. To color wash it, you water down the paint with a third of the paint with water. Brush on and wipe off with cheese cloth. It gives the piece a beautiful softening. Lastly, I clear waxed the chest. 


I lightly sanded the edges to distress it but also to let the former green color of the piece to peak through the yellow.



Well, at that point in the process, I fell in love and decided immediately that I would have to find room in the house for this lovely dresser. I knew my country guest room would be perfect..



And now it has a new home and new drawer pulls…. It is so lovely that I spent the rest of the summer looking for another piece to use as a serving buffet but never found anything as pretty as this piece. Oh well, I will keep looking!!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! It would never even enter my mind to go look for a piece of furniture for a lemonade stand. You're so good! I love how it fits into the guest room now. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey,

      Thank you so much for all your kind words!

      Cynthia

      Delete
  2. I love a bargain and boy did you find one! Your story finds so familiar. I buy something thinking I will pass it on to this person or that one then I just can't part with it and end up keeping it! You did such a great job I can see your attachment!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia