Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tomato Pie



My garden was prolific with tomatoes, until the pumpkin experiment took over the plants. Then sadly, not one more tomato from the garden. 

But I do love summer tomatoes… who doesn’t? My two sons don’t love tomatoes, summer or otherwise!! Can you imagine?




I have been at the farmers market and may have gone overboard in buying tomatoes.... So what to do with all those tomatoes? 

Last week, I decided to make a tomato pie…. Start with draining four tomatoes on paper towels after you sprinkle with a little salt. 

Bake a  pie shell in the oven with pie weights for about 10 minutes to set the pie crust. 

Next, layer the tomatoes, some onions ( I caramelized an onion) you could also use green onions or shallots. And basil. Layer them twice.


Next mix 1 c. of mayo with 1 c. of shredded cheddar and 1 c. of shredded mozzarella. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 




The tomato pie is so delicious…. A light summer meal or a wonderful side dish.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this! I can just stand and eat a good summer tomato all by itself. This sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia