A friend on Facebook posted that on this Friday, there are 10 Fridays until Christmas. Are you kidding me? That seems so close. It has been well documented that I am a planner but 10 Fridays can start a panic around here.
Last Christmas I had an epiphany. I have been hanging on to Christmas items purchased, gifted and found that I didn’t necessarily love. Also I had many different styles of Christmas items; mercury items, snowmen, cute red and green funky stuff, Santa stuff… I mean my Christmas hit every trend in the last 20 years. I decided to design Christmas this year.
One theme throughout all the house. Using Pinterest as an inspiration, I went to my Christmas board and see the photos I had pinned and go from there.
It seems that I was drawn to a red and white striped with burlap. Lots of holly and berries. Grain sack with red running through.
My theme for this year was in Pinterest!!!
With my theme in hand…. I tackled my other Christmas items
1. Edit to get those items down to the ones I really love. I donated all the items that I had been hanging on to but didn’t really love.
2. Pack all the like items together and catalogue them. All my snowmen are together, etc.
3. Pack those boxes in storage with the items I need for this year easily accessible.
4. I shopped after Christmas sales to add some items that fit my theme for this year. Mainly ribbon, evergreens, burlap stockings and some red and white buffalo checked pillows. I benefited from a shopping list and my theme ideas. No longer did I wonder Target after Christmas sales buying things randomly.
5. With a blank sheet of paper, I drew (as best I could) how I wanted the rooms to look. What garland goes where, etc.
I may never use those snowmen. I may design Christmas next year around them. But no longer is the holiday going to be dictated by an After Christmas sale item I bought 15 years ago!!!